Thursday, August 24, 2006

5 Years and 1 Hour

Yesterday, I cranked out a fairly extensive document dealing with SOA governance. Not to pat my own back too much but it kind of rocked. I delivered it to the client and they expressed their happiness with the work. I mentioned to the client that I wrote it over lunch. They gave me a look of disbelief - as if I was lying.

It occurred to me that it really took me 5 years and 1 hour. It took 5 years of research and thinking about SOA and one hour to write it down.

Sometimes I cringe when I hear enterprise customers say that they're going to do their SOA effort internally and not learn lessons from people who've already put in the 5 years.

Am I trying to promote SOA consulting services? I guess I am. You know why?
1. I make my living by delivering SOA consulting services
2. SOA is the most extensive offering I've ever seen in I.T. and quite frankly, I think people who try to go it alone - or by reading a Gartner report are going to fail.

It's that simple.

No comments: