Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Encapsulation, Polymorphism, Inheritance

Greg Vaughn, weighs-in on the "four tenets":

"I mean no offense to those who are trying to nail down the fundamentals of what makes an architecture “service oriented”. For some it is a very handy way to organize their own knowledge. And there’s certainly a need to have laws for any developers on a project who have not reached the required maturity and experience levels, but in my opinion these should be more project specific rather than broad architectural category laws."

Here is the problem. Greg is one of the smartest developers I've ever met. For him, the concepts of SOA are obvious. He's a top 1% guy. The problem is the other 99%.

Remember, "Encapsulation, Polymorphism, Inheritance"? These were the basic ideas that the OO guys were trying to teach. They may not have hit the nail on the head but they did provide guidelines for developers.

Laws or rules aren't childish. They are the nourishment that leads us out of child-like naiveness.

No comments: